Sunday, November 11, 2007

A really pleasant Surprise

We decided to go for a bit of pre lunch walk in the Goyt today, or in my case a bit of a limp. Because of my incapacity we did not do anything strenuous just sticking to the railway track. The fledglings rushed on ahead leaving Mrs BW and I deep in conversation. Suddenly the Weasel came rushing back. "Quick Quick there is a stag just round the corner." We hurried quietly around the bend and sure enough about twenty metres below the track was a fully grown Stag. It was a magnificent sight. It seemed unconcerned by us watching it. It slowly moved off down the hillside disappearing from sight after about fifteen minutes. Of course I had not brought the camera. The Weasel took a few with her camera phone and I will try and down load them at some point. Mrs BW and I have seen hinds before in the Goyt, there is a herd that hangs around Macclesfield forest but this was the first Stag that we had seen in Derbyshire. It was a magnificent sight and made the day.

3 comments:

Barry Lawrence said...

They say that about Buxton - it's cheap in the town but deer in the hills.
You are lucky BWs. Sounds fantastic.

fiwa said...

How cool! I have to admit, I can't remember the last time I saw a deer in the wild. What a wonderful day.

The Birdwatcher said...

Reg - it was a wonderful sight. One of the fledglings slightly spoilt it by saying over the lunch that it had probably come there to die. Mrs BW had to console me by telling me that it was probably a young stag that had not yet found some hind to boss.

Fiwa - Red deer are rare in the Peak District. We have seen lots in Scotland and Exmoor but it is special when they are on your doorstep so to speak.