Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Go to Work on a Grebe

I managed to drag myself out of bed at around 5.00am this morning. I had planned to get up an hour earlier so that I could lie in wait for the dawn chorus but it was hard to tear myself away from comfort and warmth of the marital bed and Mrs BW. But I am glad I did. It was a glorious morning.



A brisk stroll brought me to the "Bench that overlooks the top resevoir" and there I sat, the richest man in Derbyshire (figuratively of course) surrounded by the Goyt in all her glory. I had been brooding over the day to come in the car but I swear that it is impossible to think black thoughts when you are under the influence of the Valley. She casts a spell that lasts so long as you are there.




What better way to start the day than watching a pair of Great Crested Grebes dive for fish. They are magnificent birds, graceful and effortless on the water. Okay a bit Heath Robinson in the air but you can't have everything.




And then just to round the morning off (It was about 7.00am by this time) the Short Eared Owl appeared just over the crest of the rise, hunting for food for its mate that hopefully is sitting on a clutch of eggs.



It was hard to tear myself away, to take off the walking boots and drive back the short distance, to put on full business suit and step out into the so called real world but I went to work with a song on my lips this morning. Great for me but a nasty surprise for anyone within hearing range.

8 comments:

Gadjo Dilo said...

As long as it wasn't The Birdie Song.

Rol said...

It's the best time of year for photographs, isn't it?

If only I could drag myself out of the pit a little earlier...

The Birdwatcher said...

Gadjo - scary stuff! It was "Always look on the bright side of life"

Rol - Get up, get out and get clicking, it sets you up for the day.

KAZ said...

Did the grebes do their wonderful courtship dance?
I love the photos.

fiwa said...

That second photo is absolutely gorgeous. I know what you mean, I feel that way walking in the park. It's nothing like your Goyt, but still, it's hard not to feel a little reverence at how beautiful it is.

Glad the munch is doing ok!

The Birdwatcher said...

Kaz - not on Wednesday but I was up early on Saturday morning and one caught a fish and passed it to the other one, and then did neck waggling. I have seen te full courtship ritual before and it is fascinating.

Fiwa - your park is probably bigger than the Goyt. The Munch has made a full recovery (so its back to his cantankerous self bless him)

No Good Boyo said...

Thanks for another oasis of lyricism. We took our daughter Arianrhod for a stroll in the park yesterday as a reward for not biting the vet. She watched a magnificent grebe for sometime, and can now reproduce its call. The circus beckons, again.

The Birdwatcher said...

No good boyo - does she bring you pieces of grass?