Tuesday, September 09, 2008

The end of the World as we know it?

"The LHC will enable us to study in detail what nature is doing all around us,” said CERN Director General Robert Aymar. “The LHC is safe, and any suggestion that it might present a risk is pure fiction.”

So that's all right then. No chance of us disappearing into a black hole at around 8.30am tomorrow. Apparently the grand opening or turning on of the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is being broadcast live on the today programme. So if the world does come to a sudden end then John Humphries will get the last word. Should be fascinating.

Anyway just in case, so long and thanks for all the comments.

3 comments:

Jennytc said...

8.35am and I'm still here! ;)

Inwardly Confused said...

Wasn't it great!!!......I was jumping around the room like a proper twat. I found it all just marvellously exciting. And the way Lyn Evans' accent kept going from French to weirdy Welsh...brilliant.

The Birdwatcher said...

jennyta - yep. It was a bit selfish of me I suppose but I had a really difficult couple of meetings to go to so I was rather hoping that..........well may be not.

inwardly confused - It was like the good old days of the Apollo launches, but with all the understatement that the British (yes I know it was a collabrative venture) do so well.