Monday, October 20, 2008

Footnote to the misfortune of others.

I got home from work this evening to find Mrs BW a little bit frazzled and frayed around the gills so to speak. Well I thought I would cheer her up with a rather amusing story I had heard earlier in the day. " I heard an amusing story earlier today" I started. She looked at me quizzically, for she has heard my amusing stories before. " Yes" I went on, "Apparently this chap played football on Sunday and not only did his team lose 4-3 but he missed a penalty and you'll never guess...." I stopped. I got the distinct impression that Mrs BW was not following my flow with the sort of keen attention that my amusing stories deserve. She sighed.

"Yes I know. I told it to you at lunch time!"

"Ah, um, right. So you know the bit about the bonnet then". She didn't reply.

"Are you sure it was you? " She had been slicing bread, and I didn't like the way she handled the bread knife.

"It must have been a busy day, you know lots of things to remember." I said by way of an apology, and slunk out of the kitchen.

3 comments:

Malcolm Cinnamond said...

Good story. Be sure to tell Mrs BW tonight.

The Birdwatcher said...

Malc- See comment below.

Brother Tobias said...

I've started doing this. 'Did you hear about...?' 'Yes, I was there', etc. It's un-nerving. Mind you, alcohol is usually involved somewhere along the line. No doubt I'll soon be progressing to, 'Do you know where the...the brass thing that you put in the door lock to open it...is?