Monday, April 09, 2007

Blue Tits 1 The Birdwatcher 0

Over the last ten days or so Mrs BW and I have been observing a couple of blue tits explore the nesting boxes that we (well Mrs BW actually) put up last year. They have shown considerable interest popping in and out and generally having a good look around the neighbourhood. This morning, before anyone else had got up I was sitting by the window that overlooks the back garden sipping coffee, and watching them coming to and fro. One of them disappeared inside the box nearest to the house and spent five minutes inside. This was all looking very encouraging. Every so often it would pop its head out and call to its mate that was occupied with the fat ball or eating insects off the rose bushes. They both moved off to have a look at the other nest box, then came back again. As well as the blue tits there were sparrows and the occasional black bird flying and hopping around. In fact the garden full of activity and bird song. I went to get the camera. This would make a great photo. Back in my seat, camera at the ready, I sat and waited. The garden was deserted. Nothing came in, not even the usually ever present sparrows. I gave up after forty minutes. I couldn't even blame the cats. They were both sound asleep in their basket. No doubt as I write this, the garden is again full of blue tits, and sparrows. Oh well such is life I suppose.


No comments: